Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Ten Commandments of Motorcycling

Today when I was out, I encountered numerous other riders. I waved at all, regardless of their rides. Thats been my standard procedure for the last 30 years. I'll stop to help any rider in need of assistance, regardless of the make of their ride. I love my Harley and I can argue it's merits with anyone, but most all of us on two wheels share a common love and we share common problems as well. We are all brothers and sisters on the road. Most of the people I waved at today, waved back. Most.
Thus, when I saw these, I could not resist. I picked them up over at Beatnik Biker,"A common blog for the uncommon biker." He got them from Guilty Customs,one of the coolest custom bike builders I've seen. They make affordable, old school style bikes. Check them out. Anyway, the commandments say concisely all of the things I've been trying to say in my rants here over the last year.

The Ten Commandments

1- The one true vehicle is the motorcycle , and thou shalt put no other vehicles before it.
2- Thou shalt not bow down and worship nor serve the God of Chrome; for, lo, he is a false god and will not get thy butt home.
3- Honor thy authorized dealer and the motorcycles they sell, and that thy days may be long and fruitful in the land of Riding.
4- Remember the weekend, and keep it open. For it is written, five days shalt thou labor, and for two days shalt thou ride thy bike, drink beer, and have some FUN.
5- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s bike, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his cute old lady.
6- From the throne of thy two wheeled contrivance, thou shalt hail all thy biker brethren no matter what they are seated upon (….even if it is a Triumph) - let those who ride decide.
7- Thou shalt not pass by nor turn away from thy brother biker who is in mechanical distress.
8- Thou shalt not pose. Verily, I say unto you, it is easier for a poser to pass his gold Visa card through the eye of a needle than to enter into the true fellowship of motorcycle heaven.
9- When riding thy sled on the Road of Life, thou shalt not whine nor snivel, and thou shalt not suffer to ride alongside those who do.
10- Park not thy bike in the darkness of thine garage, that it may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy motorcycle with thy biker brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road and the wind.

No comments: