Saturday, May 26, 2007

Field of Heroes



You can click on the pictures to view full-size.
On a cold, rainy Tuesday a group of students from my school went to the Field of Heroes to help lay out the crosses( Picture on right). Eventually they were rained out, but they tried and I'm proud of them. On Wednesday evening, members of Portneuf Valley Hog helped set up the last crosses. The middle picture was taken today, over 3800 crosses representing those who have died in service of their country in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The picture on the left is of the last row of crosses placed on Wednesday, crosses with no names on them at the time. Today almost ninety have names representing the deaths so far in May.
I walked the field of crosses and read many of the names, their ages. I returned to my bike and just sat there for a bit. John Rogers, an honorable man, fellow Viet Nam vet, and the person who started doing this thing four years ago, came over and asked "Well, what do you think?"
I started to cry, and all I could say was "The sons-of-bitches are doing it to us again. The miserable sons-of-bitches."

No comments: